Advising is an important component of the student experience in the School of Business, and we recognize that it may come from a variety of sources. We hope to provide information here to guide those who support School of Business students, current and future. Thank you for your involvement in mentoring and advising Business students.
- Log into StudentAdmin
- View your advisee list
- Read their Academic Requirements Report to see student's progress toward fulfilling graduation requirements
- See details under EPOS for help with interpreting the report
- Contact the Undergraduate Programs Office at 860-486-2315 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions
- Full help index
- Student enrollment change requests require Advisor approval when an advisee wishes to change enrollment after the first two weeks of class. Students make these requests by submitting the online "Student Enrollment Request Form".
- Withdrawing from one class before the 11 week deadline: You may discuss the decision with the student and approve as you see appropriate. Once the student obtains your electronic signature approval, the Registrar will process the withdrawal. No additional approvals are needed.
- Withdrawing from more than one class AND/OR withdrawing after the 11 week deadline: University policy states "to drop a course after the eleventh week, the student needs the advisor’s recommendation and the permission of the dean of his or her school or college. The dean grants permission to drop a course after the eleventh week for extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control. Exceptions are not made for the student’s poor academic performance. Some schools may require a petition to drop after the 11th week." You may approve the form indicating your support, however, the form is not considered approved and students should be made aware they must be prepared to submit documentation and continue seek further approval. Please refer these students to the Undergraduate Programs Office immediately. Your electronic signature indicates support. The student needs to seek final approval at the Dean's level.
- Refer to the Academic Calendar each term for the dates associated with the 11 week deadline. Deadlines are strict, please advise as such.
- Excess credit requests are placed and approved through the Undergraduate Programs Office for all Business students.
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization is required for any international student to participate in any internship, work, experiential learning or training activity that is part of the student's academic program, whether paid or unpaid. You may sign the form for your international advisee if the experience is determined to be related to their program of study and the student has already registered for the credit-bearing course. See full procedures on the ISSS website. Your signature indicates support. The student needs to seek final approval from ISSS (International Student & Scholar Services Office). Please feel free to reach out to the Undergraduate Programs Office if you need assistance with these requests.
- It is important to have all EPOS reviewed before add/drop is over (the first two weeks of the term) so, if denied, students can adjust their schedule.
- On the EPOS, Catalog Year will always read “Not Satisfied.” This is OK.
- You are only approving the student's Business major degree requirements, so if other items are listed as "Not Satisfied" related to a minor or a second major, this is OK.
- IMPORTANT: If any items are listed as "Not Satisfied" in the Business major section, deny the plan of study and ask the student to meet with a UPO advisor to review their options. Even if they have made a comment in their submission with an explanation, it still needs to be denied. It is best to refer students to contact us during our drop-in advising hours.
Advisors of Prospective Business Students
- All advisors of prospective business students are encouraged to use the Prospective Business Student Advising Record (available on our forms page). This is updated as changes occur to the program each academic year. Please obtain the most up to date document directly from our website each academic year.
- For all School of Business majors, the applications are accepted the first two weeks of every Fall and Spring term (last day to apply is always the last day to add/drop courses through StudentAdmin)
- It is recommended all students attend an information session (schedule on admissions website) before visiting Advisors at drop-in advising hours.
- Advisors are not available to meet with active applicants because they all serve on the Admissions Committee.