UConn’s Accounting Department is one of the top programs in the country. Recognized nationally for innovation in curriculum, we offer a curriculum that emphasizes the leading developments in the field of accounting while utilizing the most current and practical technologies. We were the first accounting program in New England to receive separate national accreditation by AACSB International, the premier accrediting agency for bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs in business administration and accounting. Students who major in Accounting are eligible to apply to the 4+1 Master of Science in Accounting program.
The Accounting major is available to students at the Storrs Campus.
Courses offered by the Accounting Department are designed to expose students to a wide range of issues related to analyzing and interpreting financial information. Emphasis is also placed on the use of accounting information both within the organization for managerial decision-making and outside the organization for investment decision-making. The Accounting Department also offers opportunities for experiential learning through both summer and winter internships, which are highly compensated.
Accounting Majors Take:
- Intermediate Accounting I & II
- Advanced Accounting
- Cost Accounting
- Federal Income Taxes
- Assurance Services
- Law and Ethics for Professional Accountants
Students majoring in accounting may choose a curriculum that prepares them for professional examinations which are part of the certification procedures that lead to designation as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA).
- Get involved in Student Organizations like: Accounting Society, National Association of Black Accountants (NABA) and Beta Alpha Psi
- Gain hands-on experience with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program, the Deloitte Tax Challenge, the PricewaterhouseCoopers xACT Challenge, and Mock Fraud Investigations with the IRS
- Complete an internship and gain hands-on experience in the field
- Earn your Bloomberg Market Concepts Certificate in Storrs, Hartford, or Stamford
- Study abroad and take courses toward your major in places like China, Australia, the UK, and more!
- Explore Learning Accelerators to leverage your professional work experience with skills learned in the classroom
- Learn more about the School of Business Experience to see even more opportunities
Accounting is for You
If you're interested in:
- Learning to prepare a company’s financial statements
- Participating in the marketing of important financial decisions for a company
- Cost analysis and the analysis of new contracts
- Analyzing the structure of an organization to better control costs and expenses
and you wish to develop critical thinking, communication skills, and adaptability.
Learn more by contacting a TME student mentor.
What's Happening in Accounting
- 4/20/2020: Accounting Research About Small-Company Debt Resonates in Tough Economic Times
- 3/17/2020: Q&A: Detecting and Preventing Corporate Tax Loopholes
- 8/20/2019: Accounting Major Nets $10,000 Scholarship
- 4/11/2019: UConn Volunteers Complete 700 Tax Forms—For Free
- 4/2/2019: IPOs that disclose ‘bad news’ go public at lower prices
- 1/15/2019: Online MSA Program Among Nation’s Top 10—Again
- 6/25/2018: Accounting Alumnus Earns a Top Score on CPA Exam
Apply to Accounting
Nikita Patel (Accounting, '19 and Master of Science in Accounting, '20)
“My experience at EY opened a lot of doors for me and my engagement team was very inspirational and supportive. I am so grateful for the hands-on experience...Accounting has so many subjects within the field itself, and the MSA program has provided me with the opportunity to study all of them, thereby expanding my knowledge of the industry."
Learn more about the UConn MSA program.