Located in the heart of the insurance industry, Healthcare Management at UConn provides students with exceptional educational opportunities to pursue careers in the growing field of healthcare management and insurance. The major is small and personalized. Courses cover topics such as risk management, health economics, healthcare finance, human resource management, and insurance. Professional work experience through an internship program and job placement assistance provides graduates with the skills to become the next generation of business leaders in the healthcare and insurance industries.
The Healthcare Management major is available to students at the Storrs Campus.
Our program includes both traditional business and interdisciplinary health care management courses. Our students develop an understanding of general business concepts, an appreciation of the overall business environment, the study of health care organizations, and the skills required to succeed in dynamic work settings. This prepares our students for a wide range of challenging roles in health care organizations.
You will take classes like:
- Risk Management and Insurance
- Introduction to Healthcare Management
- Health Care Industry Analysis
- Health and Social Insurance
- Health Care Financial and Human Resource Management
- Health Law and Policy
- Get involved in Student Organizations like: Healthcare Management Society and Finance Society
- Earn your Bloomberg Market Concepts Certificate in Storrs, Hartford, or Stamford
- Study abroad and take courses toward your major in places like China, Australia, the UK, and more!
- Participate in a Healthcare Management internship and gain hands-on experience in health care-related organizations
- Learn more about the School of Business Experience to see even more opportunities
Healthcare Management is for You
If you're interested in:
- Risk management
- Health economics
- Healthcare finance
- Human resource management
and you want to follow an innovative curriculum that allows students to gain professional success and personal enrichment through the combination of business, healthcare, and insurance courses.
Learn more by contacting a TME student mentor.
Apply to Healthcare Management
Nivedha Natchiappan (Healthcare Management '21)
“I really enjoy the Healthcare Management major for the insights it provides into the different aspects of the healthcare system. Within my first year of taking major specific courses, I’ve learned about health policy, health economics, national and foreign healthcare delivery and payment structures, as well as the insurance industry. Both the HCMI program and its faculty supply the building blocks necessary to be a professional in an incredibly important, expanding, and evolving field.”