Management Information Systems (MIS)
Management Information Systems (MIS), housed in the Operations and Information Management Department, is a fast growing major that teaches skills that lie at the interface between business functions and information technologies. These include highly sought after proficiencies that help identify technology improvements in business practices including accounting, finance, marketing, operations and everything in between, formulate creative solutions, manage teams that will implement solutions and understand business requirements with the perspective of technologies. Students who major in MIS are eligible to apply to the 4+1 Analytics Track within the Master of Science in Business Analytics and Project Management (MSBAPM) Program.
The MIS major is available to students at the Storrs Campus.
MIS Majors take classes like:
- Business Software Development
- Business Database Systems
- Network Design and Applications
- Advanced Business Application Development
- Web Business Application Development
- IT Security, Governance, and Audit
MIS Majors learn:
- C# programming language in OPIM 3220 and OPIM 3223
- Database design (Entity-Relationship Diagramming) in OPIM 3221
- Oracle SQL (Structured Query Language) in OPIM 3221
- Linux operating system in various courses
- Vmware virtualization platform in OPIM 3222
- Python programming language in various courses
- Unity Virtual Reality development in OPIM 3223
- HTML / CSS programming languages in various courses
- Microsoft Excel / Solver platform in OPIM 3103
- SAS Enterprise Miner / JMP in OPIM 3802
- Microsoft Project in OPIM 3801
- Tableau Visualization platform in OPIM 3804
- Splunk Analytics in OPIM 3777
MIS faculty include leading researchers and experts with advanced degrees from MIT, Wharton, NYU Stern, Carnegie Mellon, University of Minnesota, and other top universities.
- Get involved in Student Organizations like: Information Management Association, and Entrepreneurship and Innovation Society,
- Earn your Bloomberg Market Concepts Certificate in Storrs, Hartford, or Stamford
- Study abroad and take courses toward your major in places like China, Australia, the UK, and more!
- Gain hands-on experience with emerging technologies in business through OPIM Innovate
- Explore Learning Accelerators to leverage your professional work experience with skills learned in the classroom
- Learn more about the School of Business Experience to see even more opportunities
What types of experiential learning are MIS majors engaging with?
In a 2019 survey of MIS students, when asked what opportunities had the strongest impact on their development of professional skills:
MIS is for You If
- You enjoy working with technology and you want a career in Business
- You’re curious about how data can be used in business environments
- You enjoy solving puzzles and complex problems
- You like to travel, see the world
- You like (or don’t mind) working in teams of people to solve challenging business problems with creative use of technology
- You dream about doing a technology startup
Learn more by contacting a TME student mentor.
What's Happening in MIS
Apply to Management Information Systems
Hannah Bonitz (MIS '19)
“One of my favorite experiences at UConn was Jon Moore’s case competition class. We had to do a 20-minute presentation every week on a business problem. Initially I wondered why I’d taken the class. But I’ve seen my presentation skills improve so much. It taught me so much about how to present, how to work under pressure, and to accept that a solution may not be perfect but it is the best it can be in the time allotted.”
Read more about Hannah's student experience.