Study Abroad Scholarships and Funding
Education Abroad doesn’t have to be expensive. Consider some of the following ways to ensure it remains affordable or comparable to a semester or year at UConn:
- Compare programs’ durations and locations. Shorter term programs may seem less expensive at first glance, but semester programs may provide greater value, depending on other factors. You will have fixed costs, like airfare, regardless of the length of your program. Costs of living also vary from country to country. Many larger cities in Western Europe have very high costs of living, whereas cities in Latin America or Africa offer big city experiences with a much lower cost of living. Also consider more non-traditional locations or smaller cities to keep expenses affordable.
- Review different program types and their cost structures. UConn offers many different kinds of programs. UConn Programs vary widely in cost and operate on Program Fees, not tuition. That said, they also include most expenses and allow UConn to bill your fee bill directly. Exchange Programs tend to be fairly affordable depending on location, particularly for out-of-state students. Regardless of their tuition rate, students will pay UConn for tuition and some fees, and they may pay housing and other costs to the host university. Some Third Party Programs can be quite expensive, whereas others are considerably more affordable than UConn tuition. All Direct Enroll and Third Party Programs bill you directly, which may affect what aid you can use on those programs.
- Research additional funding opportunities. Its never too early to start looking into funding possibilities for your program. Scholarships like Boren Awards are aimed at particular students. You may end up selecting your program based on the possible funding sources available.
- Compare currency exchange rates. The U.S. Dollar will go further in some countries than others, depending on exchange rates. Being prepared for how U.S. currency will convert into local currency can help you better choose a location as well as budget and spend more wisely while abroad.
- Plan a budget based on your lifestyle. Consider tracking your expenses for a month while here at home. This will help you determine how much you should budget for personal expenses while abroad.